From January 1, 2022, Adelaide Books is NOT accepting unsolicited submissions. Only manuscripts coming from an established literary agency or an author we already published will be accepted for consideration.
ADELAIDE BOOKS publishes novels (literary fiction, historical fiction, and romance), collections of short stories, poetry, memoirs, as well as creative nonfiction books on history, spirituality, religion, and esoteric teachings.
We accept only well-written, responsibly researched manuscripts. Your book must be both informative and engaging to the reader, written in lively, lucid prose. The topic must have broad, long-term appeal. The sources you rely on must be thoroughly documented and not infringe on any existing copyrights. You are responsible for supplying all photographs, maps, and other graphics your book may need. Poetry manuscripts must consist of at least 60 poems. Short story collections and novellas must have at least 20,000 words.
We urge authors to follow the tenets set forth in The Chicago Manual of Style.
We accept unsolicited proposals from authors. Please do not send your entire manuscript unless we ask for it. Include in your proposal:
A. Cover letter answering the following questions:
1. What is your manuscript about?
2. Who are you and what are your education, credentials, publishing history, and marketing strengths?
3. Have you given public presentations on your book topic or any other topic?
4. Who is your target audience?
5. What competing books have already been published, and how does your book differ from them?
6. Why should Adelaide Books publish your manuscript?
7. Is your manuscript finished, and if not, when do you expect it to be?
8. What is the estimated length of the book in its final form?
9. How many illustrations, maps, and/or photographs do you have for the book?
10. Are images in color or black and white?
11. Who owns the rights to images?
12. Do you have permissions in writing for images you did not create?
13. Do you expect Adelaide Books to provide any images?
14. Who is the market for your book, and what can you do to help market it?
B. Table of contents or outline
C. Sample of the manuscript (one or two chapters, double spaced)
D. Core bibliography of your sources
E. Copies of the artwork you plan to use. Please do not send original photographs, illustrations, or artwork unless requested.